Tuesday 9 January 2007

Oh, the shivery anticipation of it all

Well, when I say untamed, I don't really mean, like, y'know, wild and crazy and off-the-chain. I just mean that I am a new librarian, one who is yet to be inducted into the hallowed sanctum of the Library Institution. The lovely LeighStarDust works at my new place of employment, and in her quotable quotes she tells of a patron's request to find legislation that proves that a chicken is a pet. What now? I can just imagine the puzzled expression I would be displaying for that patron, and I'm starting out in the goddamn law library, for pete's sake. A confession: real, seasoned librarians intimidate me a wee smidge, they seem so tech-savvy and just plain onto it. Can I hold my own? Only time, my friend, will tell. Just under a week to go: better start practising that ingratiating look as I might be relying on it.

No comments: