Saturday 10 February 2007

I'm ok, you're ok, I'm a librarian

Jeez, you know you've made the right move career-wise when all of a sudden you get a step-up in energy. I've been a real-live librarian now for a month, and I swear I'm feeling perkier about life in general as a result of the move. I think I didn't realise just how worn out I was in my old job: little things really ate away at me, and people's schtick that normally would roll off my back as though I were a well-greased duck simply stuck in my craw and made me a crabby, wrung-out individual. God, was I dragging my ass for the last year or so of that last job. I went back there last week for a meeting and the anxiety in the pit of my stomach made me realise that it's been good for me to be away, so I can get my recharge on.

On the other hand, I'm digging this gig, I really am. Last week I found myself on several occasions rounding the corner efficiently, cruising into the stacks and thinking to myself, "I did it! I'm a fuckin' librarian!" Oh sure, I can't fix the photocopier and I'm still pulling that "what now?" facial expression at most reference queries, but damn it, I'm a librarian! Not a slick librarian, but a librarian nonetheless! Here are some nice things about being a librarian: it's no longer a secret shame to be a tidier, a labeller, a hoarder of information. Now I can just be out with it, and everyone loves it - because the rest of them are just as finicky as me! Stationery lovers? Oh yes, they are. One of them even has her own label maker. Fuck it, why don't I have a label maker? Someone please get me a label maker! I really want one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, congratulations you queen of the twinset set you! Tis really great to hear. Yours hobblingly, Ann xxxx

Anonymous said...

You deserve a label maker! Your workmates should pass a hat around.

Anonymous said...

Great to read the latest Chelle! Recharge sounds good. God-damn it - you DID it gal! Well done. So proud and inspired by you. May all the funky label makers in the world be yours!

Jess
XXX

Unknown said...

Hola!

I'm a bit behind with the comments, but never mind... I'm so glad you've got a little kitty cat to play with, even if you have to share! Your story about the bath reminded me of when my own little furball (who turned 17 last Sunday!) was a tiny boy. He used to try to jump up onto the bath, but he was too samll & just couldn't do it. Then one day he was big enough & sailed right over the top & into the water, with me. I don't think he had any idea what was happening on the other side. Then he became more confident & reguarly sat on the corner behind me, occasionally going for a stroll along the side of tha bath, where inevitably his feet would get wet & he'd fall in.

I'm coming to grips with my own new work environment. Same job, but new office with only 4 other people. Some days it feels like I'm in solitary confinement, especially when I have the entire top floor to myself for days on end.

Enjoy your adventures in the library! Am reading a book where a lot of time is spent in the stacks... It's The Historian, and about a vampire hunt. It arrived in the mail from a friend in the US as a late xmas present. Not too scary so far, and I'm enjoyuing it very much.

Hasta luego!